Friday, July 22, 2005

Me Ahab, You Moby

If you know me well enough, you'll know that I have an obsessive personality. While I can't go into all of my obessions in this PG-13 rated blog, I can say that one of my mountain bike racing obsessions was finally fulfilled yesterday at the last WaW race. I've been trying to beat this person for a long time and yesterday it finally happened. I won't say his name, but it rhymes with Larry Cautilli. Nevermind that he was probably already worn out running around like mad before the race trying to get everything together (he's also the race organizer, and a damn good one at that). Or he may even had a mechanical problem during the race to slow him down. I don't know and I don't care. For once in my life I posted a faster time than him. Nyahhhh! All kidding aside, Larry is an awesome rider and mountain biking advocate who has almost singlehandedly changed the face of Wakefield Park for the better IHMO. But yesterday I whooped his ass by 30 seconds. Ok, 30 seconds is more like a gentle spanking, but I'll take it.

Couldn't have done it without Foley. Except for the bit when he was ahead of me, he rode my wheel for the entire race and really pushed me. It's become a very fast SS class at Wakefield. I remember looking around at the starting line thinking, "Ohmigod, this is gonna be my first DFL (dead fooking last) finsh." But when the proverbial gun went off, I found myself in the middle of the pack going into the singletrack and that's pretty much where I stayed. For the first 2 laps it was me, Claman, and Foley dooking it out. Unfortunately, Butch was taken out early with a flat tire. Claman got around me and opened up a gap somewhere on the 2nd lap, leaving just me and Foley to sprint for the finish. I barely held him off. On any other day, he would have come around and passed me. But today, I had my "racing dress" on and that's what did it...






More pics and a view from the front of the pack here.

3 Comments:

Blogger Your Name Here said...

Congrats! Sounds like you guys had fun. I'm bummed I miss the drag race. I'll catch it next year.

Pete

11:53 AM

 
Blogger JoeP said...

(clarification) not "the" win, but a personal victory nevertheless that I was able to match my dress to my helmet.

-- the tart

8:30 AM

 
Blogger Fort James said...

Dude,
The dress is totally hawt! No way could I pull that off.

8:14 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home