Sunday, December 10, 2006

Tour de Wakostank

I overslept and missed the Salamander ride today. So instead I hit the Wakefield/Accotink circuit to try to ride off the rest of my head cold. I thought I would be riding at Fountainhead more since we moved closer, but lately I've found myself gravitating towards my old neighborhood park, Accotink. The terrain at Fhead is more challenging and should make for a better ride, but the fact that you have to ride it in one direction all the time, and the lack of options makes it feel, well, like a train ride. You leave your freewill at the trailhead and go where the tracks take you. Lately, I've been longing for the rat-in-a-maze feeling of Accotink, where you're completely boxed in but you have an almost infinite number of ways to get from point A to B. Every fork in the trail is a chance to engage the brain in a pretend life-or-death decision, like a kid running across a tiled floor trying to avoid the "lava". Yeah, I talk to myself when I ride.

Ran into Bike Lane teamie Laura and Tom early in the ride, but they were nearly done. So I only rode with them for a little while before I peeled off and pointed my bike towards the Wakefield side of the park. I rode for about two hours and hit every trail in both parks. It was a nice 50deg December day with the rest of the week looking to be the same. Thank you, global warming.

1 Comments:

Blogger camps said...

now, now,
global warming will not help you master that telemark turn.

you DO remember the turn, don't you?

11:02 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home